Monday, April 23, 2007

met the parents for the first time

finally, after six month's i met d's parents. with my residence in new york city and his parents traveling back and forth from southern california, it has been difficult to arrange a time to meet. this past weekend, we finally met face to face. i have to confess, i was a bit nervous about meeting his parents! i mean, this is the guy that i'm going to spend the rest of my life with. (at least, i want to and plan to.) their approval and opinion will mean the world. d kept telling me not to worry that they're going to love me. and i kept thinking, "of course, they're going to like me!" but on the other hand, i had this nagging thought, "what if they don't???"

it was a sprinkling rain a bit but i suppose it added to the anticipation. when d and i got to his parents' house, i had to make a dash to their porch. and apparently, they'd been expecting us because as soon as i hopped on their porch, they opened the front door. i felt like a deer caught in the headlight! but his mom was really sweet, she opened the front door and gave me a hug to welcome me. which made me relax, quite a bit. it was as if she had already made up her mind to like me. d did tell me yesterday that his parents did indeed like me. they thought i was cute, nice and sincere. the first two words are just ok but i like that they think i'm sincere! that's quite a compliment.

the drive to the restaurant (japanese) and dinner went smoothly. there was little bit of bantering going on through the dinner and the dinner itself was quite delicious! afterwards, we went back to his parents' for dessert and pouring over baby photos. my boyfriend was really a cute baby! well, that would explain the good looking man that i'm dating. :-) as tired as i was, i had a really wonderful time looking over the old and odd shaped photos (my bf is 40+ years old) and the custard cream puff the size of my face was utterly heavenly. i'm craving it right now as i'm typing this!

meeting his parents felt like a rite of passage and a momentous occassion. the fact that he also gave me a key to his house also felt like confirmation to our relationship. a key to his house is so symbolic! i'm sure the two events had nothing to do with each but those two events made me feel that this relationship is really serious. that we are going to be together forever. ok, so he didn't propose but this past weekend was just as meaningful. (besides, i do have the beautiful eternity band that he gave me as a promise ring on valentine's day this past february.)

*sigh* i'm so happy.

No comments: